Serves: a varying number; adjust ingredients according to quantity to be fed
Preparation time: about 6 months
Cooking time: varies, depending on the desires of the cook
- Friends – the more the merrier; must be ready for adventure, have a lighthearted spirit, be willing to work out challenges together
- Setting – doesn’t really matter, but pretty, exotic, and warm is nice
- Activities – make sure activities are weighted more on the side of those that fill your time with purpose and service
1. Take the collection of friends, stir them together to make sure their flavors are well blended, but still unique. (If the flavors are getting too homogenous, add more limón.)
2. Wait a few months.
3. Put in airplane for anywhere from 3 to 10 hours (depending on where you want to get off)
4. Add useful and purposeful activities in heavy doses. These can include, but need not be limited to: playing fútbol (soccer) for countless hours in the winter temperatures (read: 80+ degrees Fahrenheit) with a swarm of laughing, delightful orphans; participating in the release of leatherback turtles into the Pacific Ocean on their first steps in life; visiting a family that lives 1.5 hours from the nearest town up a dirt road that mines and prepares clay, then makes sturdy, beautiful pottery; snorkeling with sea lions and learning about their habitat and live; attending a benefit concert in our backyard with lots of famous rock stars; learning about restoring a native riparian habitat; etc.
5. At any point during this process, bubbling and fermentation may occur. Never fear. Stir gently, add honey, and smooth the mixture around the edge of the pot to encourage settling down. Fermentation will subside.
6. Add salsa to taste.
7. Serve with freshly made tortillas.
Result: an unbelievably tasty, hearty experience.
See more photos on Flickr! http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_link_school/sets/72157632462439319/